Wage Payment Collection and Minimum Wage


The Iowa Division of Labor enforces Iowa wage law, including the Iowa minimum wage. If you have not been paid what you are owed you may file a wage claim. One of the most common reasons for underpayment is illegal deductions.  You may also be owed unpaid vacation, unreimbursed employee expenses or unpaid commissions.  

Wage Claims

The Iowa Division of Labor does not accept claims for wages when one of the following applies:

  • It has been more than one year since the wages were due.
  • The amount owed is more than $6,500.00.
  • The work was not performed in Iowa.

To file a wage claim, complete the Wage Claim Form (Reclamacion de Salarios) and submit it to us. For further information see Steps in the Wage Claims Process and Iowa Code and Administrative Rules.

After you submit a wage claim we will review it and contact the employer. We will further investigate and collect due wages by voluntary payment if possible. If that is not possible, the matter may proceed to small claims court where there may be additional recovery of liquidated damages and attorney fees.

    You also have the right to sue on your own or by a private attorney.  You also have the option to contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Office, which enforces overtime law.

    Wage Quick Links

    Contact the Wage Staff
    Claim for Wages - English
    Reclamacion de Salarios
    Employer Response Form
    Wage Frequently Asked Questions
    Steps in a Wage Claim Process
    Iowa Minimum Wage Poster
    Wage Iowa Code and Administrative Rules
    U.S. Department of Labor
    Elaws Advisor
    Open Records Requests